LEADER is a rural businesses support service designed to create jobs and support the rural economy.
To obtain grant funding, projects must contribute to one or more of LEADER’s six national priority areas – support for:
- Increased Farm Productivity;
- Micro and Small Enterprises and Farm Diversification;
- Rural Tourism;
- Provision of Rural Services;
- Increasing Forestry Productivity; and
- Cultural and Heritage Activity .
The LEADER programme has been running across England for more than 10 years and a new round of grant funding is now operating across North and West Northamptonshire, with grants from £5,000 up to £180,000 now available.
Examples of recent LEADER-funded projects in Northants include:
- The woodland management scheme
- a new tea room at Hartwell Nurseries,
- a cattery built on an eco farm: and
- support for a farmer who was given the confidence to diversify.
For more information on how to apply for rural business funding, visit www.leader-programme.org.uk